June 13, 2005

the unholy power that is google (or yahoo or altavista or ask jeeves, too, I suppose)

Do you have a special someone? Someone who's so attractive, so friendly, so considerate, so....PERFECT??? Do you want that person's phone number? If so, I'm the right internet sleuth to hire! I will find anyone's phone number for an all-time-low price of $10 per case. Cash up front. Today Peter called and explained that he was in Oklahoma, and heading toward Mesopotamia*. The problem was that Melanie was not answering her cellphone, and Peter had no idea how to reach her, so that he could stay at her house--oh by the way, Peter is hitchhiking around the nation for the summer. Anyhow, Peter needed a home phone number. Since Peter was my first client, I didn't ask for a fee. TheFaceBook sadly did not turn up any results. Neither did any of the first google results for "white pages." BUT! Then Peter called again: Oh, I forgot to tell you, Melanie's address is 426 Supersoaker Ave Mesopotamia, TX 77777 That might be important, who knows AHA! Only there were no results for 426 Supersoaker Ave. I was stumped. Their home phone number was probably unlisted. Oh well. "Poor Peter," I thought. In desperation, I googled Melanie's name, and wow! The first google result was a PU press release about her Webbs Scholarship*, and at the bottom it had her correct address. 4246 Going back to the white pages, the home phone number was found in a flash. So the next time you need to find out someone's # or address, you know who to call. *All of the names and addresses in this story are made-up to protect their private identities and locations. Except Peter's location really was Oklahoma. But he's probably well on his way to Mesopotamia now*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home