May 20, 2006

Yo hablo un pocquito del español inglés

I don't really follow politics anymore (unless Stephen Colbert is involved), but one issue that's caught my attention is immigration. It's so hard to legally immigrate here--my aunts in China have yet to receive US family visas. I'm guessing that everyone (except Patsumii) has heard of the Guest Worker provision that's being thrown around. I'm not sure what the perfect solution is, but hey, they're just immigrating here for opportunity they don't have in their original country. Sure, they're illegally immigrating--but that's because the immigration law now is so much more severe than it was back when the Statue of Liberty would greet boats of Europeans coming to look for work. A more recent issue has been making English the official national language. This has become a hot issue since the release of a Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner, "Nuetro Himno", was released, anb Bush commented that the anthem should be sung in English. I feel more mixed on this issue. I'm definitely not as passionate as this guy or este hombre. I think, though, that the song is a beautiful song--why not let other cultures remix it? I'm not sure what an "English as the official language of the USA" amendment would entail, but if it criminalized singing Nuetro Himno (literally, Our Hymn), I would emigrate the heck outta here. But hey, let's top this all off on a bright note...with the Colbert Report! I'm interested in hearing what you think of the above issues.

3 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 09:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singing the national anthem while building a barbed wire fence...somehow those two don't go together.

 
At 5/23/2006 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

So a while back I think you posted a question about why people want the U.S. to be the best at everything. I was thinking this might be part of the answer. People put a lot of effort into getting here -- we're mostly a country of immigrants (or immigrants' children, or immigrants' grandchildren). We want to be sure we (or our parents or grandparents) really moved to the right country. Hence all this worry recently about the U.S. falling behind in math/science education (and falling behind in other areas).

 
At 5/23/2006 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Cassie said...

I never knew that the United States never had an official language. However, I think English should be made the official language because it's a part of being American. Other countries see English mainly as an American trademark. Also immigrants or at least their children will eventually learn it. Language is such crucial factor of culture so I understand why this topic is a little touchy. Although I agree that America is supposed to be a melting pot, inevitably those who migrated here will completely lose their foreign identity. Making English as the official language won't prohibit other languages being spoken here nor will it decrease the rich culture.

As for the anthem being sung only in English, I also agree. (Whoa I'm actually agreeing with Bush?!). I am borne from foreign parents here in the US. If I was brought up without any of the Vietnamese culture, I would be completely "American". But I wasn't, so that's why I can call myself Vietnamese American. So I can't imagine growing up signing the anthem in a different language because I believe that would be effectively changing the American culture by making it more of something else. Phew...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home