April 09, 2006

Useful programs

Here are some useful programs that I use. Several of these are Mac-only, so you Windozers can just drool. Adium - Chat program that lets you sign in on with multiple screen names on different networks (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GoogleTalk, ICQ...), and keeps all your chats in a neat, tabbed interface. aMule - Ok p2p program...I think I used it to download some movies that I couldn't find on bittorrent. I uh, had the permission of the copyright owners to download that movie, of course. Automator - Great for doing repetitive tasks for you! Like, I take a bunch of photos, and Automator will make them all 480 x 400, and produce thumbnail versions of the images for me. Cyberduck - FTP program with SFTP capabilities. Best ftp client I've come across (beats the pants off of MacSFTP, which IU recommends). DrJava - lightweight IDE for programming Java. Firefox - there are a slew of good browsers, but I love FF's extensibility. I have the ForecastFox, Copy Image, Tabbrowser Preferences, Web Developer, DownThemAll!, and StumbleUpon extensions. I could go into them all, but explore for yourself. Gmail Notifier - if you use gMail, this makes it much better to use. It not only notifies you when you receive new mail, it also lets you chose gMail as your default email "program." So when you click on an email address, instead of Outlook or Mail opening, a browser window in will load with gMail. Handbrake - Easy DVD ripping/encoding program. I don't think Windows has an equivalent. OurTunes - Let's me download songs from people on my local network who use iTunes (which, in dorms, is ubiquitous). Of course, I had the copyright holders' permission to download their songs. Roxio Toast - Although Mac OS X has decent built-in cd-burning features, Toast lets you do more, such as create VCDs :) Transmission - nice, lightweight and fast bittorrent client. Used to download only legal materials. VLC Player - plays all videos. MPlayer OSX - VLC can't play anime releases by the fansubbing group Dattebayo. MPlayer can. That's the only thing I use it for.

2 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 01:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! <3

 
At 4/10/2006 12:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should have seen jade. She was hovering over her computer as usual, but this time the monitor was so much bigger than her head and it looked like she had her nose in the middle of the screen haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home